The U.S. Navy uses a variety of coating systems to meet the requirements of a diverse array of shipboard application areas. In general, coating system requirements are outlined in military or federal specifications. These specifications provide detailed information regarding coating system requirements and the test methods used to determine whether a coating system satisfies those requirements.
Below is a list of the most common military specifications that manufacturers qualify their coating products to for Navy use. If the coating product in question does not pertain to one of the specifications listed below, please email us at email@example.com to request additional assistance.
Once the correct specification has been identified, go to the ASSIST Quick Search site to download a copy of the specification. Searching by document number is generally the easiest way to locate the specification of interest.
- TT-P-28 Paint, Aluminum, Heat Resisting
- TT-P-645 Paint, Alkyd Type, Formula Number 84
- MIL-DTL-1115 Enamel, Interior, Alkyd, While (Formula No. 30)
- MIL-PRF-3135 Deck Covering Underlay Materials
- MIL-DTL-15090 Enamel, Equipment, Light Gray (Navy Formula No. 111)
- Mil-PRF-16173 Corrosion Preventive Compound, Solvent Cutback, Cold-Application
- MIL-D-21631 Deck Covering, Latex Concrete
- MIL-PRF-23236 Coating System for Ship Structures
- MIL-DTL-24441 Paint, Epoxy-Polyamide, General Specification for
- MIL-PRF-24596 Coating Compounds, Nonflaming, Fire-Protective
- MIL-DTL-24607 Enamel, Interior, Nonflaming (Dry), Chlorinated Alkyd Resin, Semigloss
- MIL-PRF-24613 Deck Covering Materials, Interior, Cosmetic Polymeric
- MIL-DTL-24631 Paint, Camouflage for Submarines, General Specification for (Metric)
- MIL-PRF-24635 Coating Systems, Weather Resistant, Exterior Use
- MIL-PRF-24647 Paint System, Anticorrosive and Antifouling, Ship Hull
- MIL-PRF-24667 Coating System, Non-skid, for Roll, Spray, or Self-Adhering Application
- MIL-PRF-24712 Coatings, Powder, Thermosetting
- MIL-PRF-24763 Enamel, Emulsion Type, for Shipboard Use
- MIL-PRF-32170 Deck Tiles, Wear-Resistant
- MIL-PRF-32171 Deck Coatings, High Durability
- MIL-PRF-32177 Cleaning Compound, Nonskid