The Naval Ships’ Technical Manual (NSTM) provides technical information to personnel involved in supervision, operation, and maintenance of U.S. Navy ships and submarines. The various chapters and volumes of the NSTM contain detailed administrative and technical instructions that augment other authoritative documents. The instructions are designed to assist ship’s force in the management of ships and shipboard machinery and equipment in order to ensure mission readiness, maximize the service life of each ship, and minimize life cycle costs.
Below is a list of NSTM chapters that provide technical information with respect to coating preservation topics.
- Chapter 631 provides information, requirements, and instructions for prevention of corrosion and deterioration of in-service ships through surface preparation, painting, and application of other preventative measures.
- Chapter 633 provides information on the design, installation, operation, and maintenance of cathodic protection systems used on active U.S. Navy ships, submarines, boats, and other craft.
- Chapter 634 contains information on the installation and maintenance of deck coverings, gratings, and caulking compounds used for sealing deck seams.
How to Obtain Technical Documents
You must possess a valid government-issued CAC card and Personal Identification Authorization (PIV_Auth) certificate.
As of March 31, 2023, on-line access to digital technical manuals is no longer available from the Technical Data Management Information System (TDMIS). On-line access to digital technical manuals has transitioned to the Model Based Product Support (MBPS) system.
To request a MBPS Windchill account, utilize the MBPS/PLM Help Desk, the National Help Desk Service Management (NHDSM). To submit a service request, such as a new MBPS account request or if you have questions, please refer to the following options:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call: NAVAIR NHD at 1-888-292-5919
- Website: https://nhdsm.navair.navy.mil (DoD PKI Certificate required)
Visit the Transition of the TDMIS to MBPS page for information regarding the sunsetting of TDMIS (CAC is required to access this page).